I love making appetizers in these ready-made phyllo shells; the fillings can be infinite…just about. Phyllo shells make the perfect vessel for mini desserts and savory items; I have made thousands of different varieties of delicious mini morsels out of these things over the years. You could slave over full sheets of phyllo dough, stack the layers, cut them to fit your mini cupcake pan and make your own, but why bother, the taste of these ready make shells are not compromised. Comfort food comes in all shapes and sizes but there is something really comforting when you see a bite size piece of food that not only looks good but tastes good. These mini asparagus & 4 cheese tarts are savory, flaky and cheesy…what more could you ask for at any party? I always keep a few boxes of these phyllo shells in the freezer for that impromptu dinner party that is only hours away, “have a phyllo shell, will fill it”.
1 tablespoon butter
2 teaspoons olive oil
6 oz. fresh asparagus stalks (about 8), trimmed and chopped
2 shallots, minced
2 teaspoons fresh Tarragon leaves, chopped
¼ cup of dry white wine
½ cup ricotta cheese
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 eggs, scrambled
1 cup Gruyere cheese, grated
¼ cup grated parmesan & Romano cheese blend
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
2 packages of mini phyllo tart shells (30 total)
Chopped chives for garnish
- In a medium sized frying pan heat the butter and olive oil over medium heat, add the asparagus and shallots and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the wine and tarragon and turn down to low heat and cook until the liquid is almost evaporated, about 3 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a mixing bowl combine the ricotta cheese, Dijon mustard, eggs, salt, pepper and nutmeg and mix well, stir in the gruyere cheese and parmesan/Romano cheese.
- Add the asparagus/shallot mixture and blend well
- Spoon the mixture into phyllo shells; don’t be afraid to fill them full, they will not overflow when cooking. Place on a silicone mat or parchment lined sheet pan.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly and server right away.
- Serves 8 to 10 as an appetizer
Previous post« Vegan Nacho Sauce
Next PostFrosted Fudgy Nutella Brownies »
Tags: appetizer ideas, mini asparagus & gruyere phyllo tarts, mini asparagus quiche, phyllo shell recipes
This post was written by Joseph Sciascia